STS Discussion Forum

Welcome user: Guest. You need to log in before you can post a message.

Topic-icon Classic FM

1 month 5 days ago #59 by Neil Franklin
Classic FM was created by Neil Franklin
I am sure many folk dancers are, like me, regular listeners to Classic FM. Have any of you sent in a request to the Anne Marie Mindhall programme, which is on weekdays from 13.00 to 15.00? I sent a request before the May Hey Day festival weekend. I sent it by email, and the request was read out in full, with dedications to Meryl, all those who would have been at the festival, and the organisers. I requested Minuet no.2 from Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks, to which tune I have written a dance. Tomorrow, I shall do the similar for what would have been the Lichfield Festival. This time, I will request Waltz no.2 from The Jazz Suite no.2 by Shostakovich for which I wrote a dance titled Meryl's Waltz
There are numerous folk dances which have been set to classical tunes. If you can't think of one, consult your friendly neighbourhood caller or consult Gary Roodman's Calculated Figures books.
For details of the various ways to send in a request, look on the Classic FM website.
If you don't read this until after the weekend, send one in anyway, Just make sure you get the words "Folk Dance" somewhere in the request. If you should request Ashokan Farewell, ask for it to be played by a folk dance band, Vertical Expression and Folkus Pocus are two who have recorded it. rather than the military band that they normally play. That band plays it as a lament, not a tune to dance to.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 5 days ago #60 by Neil Franklin
Replied by Neil Franklin on topic Classic FM
A couple of corrections to my post:
Firstly, the presenters name is not quite correct. It should be Anne-Marie Minhall.
Secondly, the programme runs from 12.00 till 16.00, but requests are now from 12.00 till 14.00. Get requesting, I have emailed mine in.

More
1 month 3 days ago #61 by Neil Franklin
Replied by Neil Franklin on topic Classic FM
The request did not get played today, lack of time, but I have had an email from the producer to say it will be played on Monday and she will phone me first.

More